So long, my beloved little friend

Today was....I fully believe.....the most difficult day of my life until this point. Mom and Dad made the tough decision to have our little Ariel put to sleep, nearly 16 years old....a very long, full life she lived. I found myself at the vet's office with Ken at 3:30 this afternoon.

As we drove there, I sat in the backseat and held her hand. I brushed the hair out of her little, sleeping eyes and told her over and over that I loved her. As we sat in the waiting room once at the vet's office, I stroked her little head and kissed her snout....one last time. He held her in his arms, wearing her favorite navy sweater and wrapped up in her favorite blanket. She slept peacefully, unaware of the world around her.

I was able to be with her through the entire process.....I stood right beside her as her little life slipped away. My heart broke in two, but I had to remind myself that she wasn't hurting anymore. She was not miserable anymore. She was full of peace. She lived 16 vibrant years, full of joy and adventure. She exited this world so peacefully, so dignified that I'm sure she would thank us if she could.

She had a family who loved her dearly.....words can't express the love we had for her. She was our other family member, as my sister Emily said. She completed us. She made us laugh, she brought us comfort, she kept our lives interesting and fun. She was our Ariel.

We gathered under the pecan tree in my parents' backyard and buried her, right beside her little pen and doghouse. Dad lovingly placed her into the ground, and we all stood around her and told her we loved her, sharing sweet memories and comments that we wanted to share with her one last time. We listened as Dad sang Amazing Grace, then we said our final farewells as we turned and walked away.

I am grieving.....that is an understatement. I thought I was better until I laid down to sleep a moment ago and suddenly realized I'm still hurting. My heart aches, my soul feels torn. As long as I can remember, there was Ariel. I will never look into those sweet brown eyes again.

As Emmie did, I want to give her one final note and tribute. She deserves the very best, and I would dream of nothing less than to give it to her....

Ariel, you brought sunshine into our lives when clouds were smothering us. You made us laugh, and taught us how to play with more fervor. Your little quirks (eating snow, laying on your back beside us when we were on the floor, throwing sand out of Emmie's sandbox, stopping every 5 feet to track something when we took you walking).....they make me smile now. I'm sorry for the times I was impatient with you and wished you'd quit jumping up on me, or when I got mad at you for barking in the middle of the night. I would give anything to hear your bark again. I know you aren't hurting anymore, and that you lived a long, full, and satisfying life. You certainly brought joy into our lives....I hope we brought joy into yours. I will miss you terribly. You will always have my love. Goodbye, sweet girl.
:) Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation