The 70s

Ken and I stayed up a while last night and watched the "I Love the 70s" series on Vh1. We turned it on just in time to see 1977 and 1978, the years we were born. It was quite entertaining. There were so many things on there that I remember my parents talking about...and I can remember watching the re-runs of some of the showcased television shows later in childhood.

I have always told Ken that the 70s were a landmark decade for hairstyles, for fashion, and for music (oh, yeah). But there are two things that should have never evolved during the 70s....home decor, and car models. One of my all-time favorite phrases to say is, "If it weren't for the 70s, the real estate market would be booming right now." I know it's a bit harsh of a statement, but think about it. How many homes have been turned down (usually by the female) because of orange shag carpet, mirrored walls, or black commodes?

We women have a hard time seeing the whole picture. We always can't imagine how awesome a house would be once all of that stuff was updated. We just see the oranges, avocado greens, and wicker lampshades hung from chains....and then gasp in horror, running tyranically out the front door. Our men stand inside and continue to glance around, wondering what we think is so tacky about the place.
A coat of paint will make anything better, right?

I won't crack on the cars of the 70s too badly, namely because my first car was a sky-blue 1977 Chevette (my "Vette," as I lovingly called it). My mom drove a classic pool-blue Maverick. Those two cars (well, at least the Maverick) were not too bad in the area of coolness. At least for their time. And look....not ten years later, I was ecstatic to see that Tom Cruise chose that very name, Maverick, to be his name in the skies on Top Gun. Probably no connection in his mind to the car, but I can dream, can't I?

But I have driven other cars from this decade, and I have a hard time feeling comfortable in a car where the front end of the hood reaches my destination 15 minutes before the back end does.

I am glad I was born in the 70s, but I am glad I GREW UP in the 80s. Yes, the 80s had their share of tacky trends and goofy styles....but for some reason, the 80s just exude more coolness than the 70s. After all, they're slowly making a comeback, even today. Have you seen the hints of floursecent colors and the bermuda shorts on the clothing racks this spring!? Agh! What goes around, comes around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation