A blast from the past

I just wanted to list out a few things I love (and fondly remember) about my childhood. For those of you who grew up in the 80s like I did (even though that phrase is WAAAAY overused), maybe some of these will trigger hidden memories and maybe even a smile:

- Gak....an oozy, messy, slimeball from Nickelodeon. And speaking of Nickelodeon:
- "You Can't Do That On Television"....the tv show that my mom banned me from watching, and rightly so....it was unbelievably disrespectful
- Disney's Mousercise (oh, yes, I had the record, and I also had the legwarmers)
- Barbie and the Rockers (Dana, Didi, Derek, etc.)
- Full House (was I the only girl who wanted to be just like D.J.? And man, oh, man, it was even better that she had Kirk Cameron as a brother!!)
- Jelly shoes (I wore these all summer, till the dirt left stencil patterns on my sweaty feet)
- Jelly bracelets (I wore all but the black ones....they were "evil")
- Slush n' Mush (those silly little cups of shaved ice....you couldn't eat them till you slushed and mushed while singing the theme song)
- Shirt Tales (the little animals with tees on....I named my favorite doll after the panda bear, Pammy)
- Hello Kitty (This new version out nowadays? NOT the original. The original had more class and true Asian flair...not tackiness or anime-enlarged eyes.)
- Pizza parlors with Pacman machines in the tables (Clemson's Pepino's Pizza is the closest thing to the original 80s fad I've found)
- Tomes and Talismans (a video series from the 70s that they showed us in the school library... a weird drama about a hidden library underground after the earth's population is overrun by another planet)
- Nerds cereal (a two-sided box, just like with the candies)
- Weebles (I had the treehouse!)
- Pogoball (I had one of these....never could get the hang of it)
- Penny loafers (a brief, albeit thankfully short, reemergence of these shoes from the 50s)
- Mr. Potato Head/Mrs. Potato Head
- Wacky Wall Walkers (those sticky spiders in cereal boxes)

Oh, I could go on and on.
Memory bubbles are just popping up all over my mind.
But I will stop now, and give you a chance to put in your two cents' worth in the comments. I'd love to hear some things you remember that maybe I didn't.
Hope you enjoyed this tiny journey down memory lane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation