Five years ago today.....part II

Five years ago today was Friday, May 19, 2000.

The rehearsal was the night before, and we were all hoping we'd remember what we had practiced. I woke up early....Ken and I were going to rendevouz at Jittery Joe's for a quick mug of coffee. I was supposed to be at my bridal luncheon at 12....time got away from me, and Mom ended up having to call me and find out where I was. Oops!

My luncheon was at a bed and breakfast with its own restaurant....Liberty Hall Inn. My wonderful grandma and my aunts put together a girly luncheon for me. I went all traditional and let my bridesmaids pull silver charms out of a raspberry-poppyseed cake. Whoever got the diamond ring was the next to be married....I believe Ken's cousin Emily was the one who found it. We dined on chicken salad, melon, soup, bread, and cheesecake (plus the raspberry cake....we were sugar happy, to say the least).

After the luncheon, I was ready to help with last minute preparations for our big day. We headed to the reception site with a carload of fresh strawberries from a local farm. My grandma, aunt, and I dipped these strawberries to look like tuxedos for nearly two hours. Our backs ached, our fingers were stiff, but the strawberries were hilarious and very cute. Someone had better notice them. :)

I helped my friend Christy wrap ivy around candle sconces for the church pews. We hung out the rest of that afternoon, and then she and another bridesmaid, Stephanie, went with me to my cousin Josh's graduation party that evening. I picked at my food; I was slowly realizing that the ceremony was just a little over 12 hours away.

After the party, if you happened to be strolling around the local mall, you would have seen me, Christy, and my sister running frantically into Victoria's Secret for some invisiline underwear. Last minute realization.....the bridesmaids dresses were thin organza, and they needed such an invention if one didn't want to be the talk of the townspeople. ;)

I came home and began packing. Yes, the night before I left for my honeymoon and I had not even begun packing. I cried as I looked around my room, now 90% empty since we'd moved most of my things over to our newlywed apartment the previous week. This is real. It is happening! I wasn't a kid anymore! Whew.

I rolled my hair on pink sponge curlers (I know, I know, how 50s) and went to bed early. I only laid there for a few minutes, surprisingly, before I drifted off to dreamland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation