Happy Mother's Day

On this, my very first official Mother's Day, I am thankful for the one who brought me into this world, my mom, Miriam. In her I find a perfect example of motherhood to follow with my own childraising, as well as a wealth of other desirable traits which are worthy to be mimicked.

I cannot believe that my years at home are already come and gone. Childhood really IS a fleeting moment. In the midst of it, we feel like we will never get out of it....when it's over, we wonder where it all went, and also wonder why we wished it all away.

There are so many things that Mom does or says that I find myself copying, intentionally and not intentionally. Some of them are sweet, others silly.....but I thought I'd jot them down, nevertheless, just to show her (and everyone else) how much she has changed my life for the better:

- I can't deviate from her recipes for many things, simply because other versions just don't have that "Mom-flavor"....you know what I'm talking about. (This includes lemon meringue pie, chili con carne, spaghetti sauce, and most things chocolate.)
- Speaking of chocolate, her love for this delectable gift from God was passed down and magnified! Can't live without the stuff.
- A long, hot bath will help any day grow better. If it was a bad day, it becomes a good day. If it was a good day, it becomes a perfect day.
- Reading to kids is so important. Anyone who knows my son will know how much he loves books. I attribute this to her.
- There is nothing wrong with singing....and singing like no one else is listening! We sang together as a family all the time. There is nothing sadder than a household devoid of music.
- Pictures are one of the most valuable treasures we can hold. She has boxes and books of photos of us as kids. She spent more on wedding photos than anything else in our wedding, and for those captured memories, I am thankful.
- Spouse comes first. She showed us that Dad was the priority, and they showed each other their commitment for each other daily in front of my sister and I. It inspired me to seek a marriage like that.
- There is always something you can be doing for another person. This might include taking someone lunch, some flowers, or just calling to say hello.
- Always say, "I love you." Never let the sun go down without telling those you love that you care about them.
- Hold your children close....they won't be little for long, so hold them and hug them often.
- Don't do stupid things just to get your friends to like you. If you have to do so, they aren't really your friends, anyway. True friends love you for who you really are, and they won't leave you when the weather changes.
- And speaking of weather, always be informed of the weather forecast....it helps you plan your day better!
- There are few greater joys than sharing the love God gives you with animals. They will love in return.
- Try hard at everything, even in those school courses which you think are unnecessary and you'll never have use for in "real life." I have come to realize that there ARE some things that do come back around, and I wish I'd paid better attention.
- You don't have to have a fat pocketbook to be rich. True wealth can't be bought with money. It is made up of a wonderful family and other blessings God chooses to send us.
- Above all else, place God first. He rewards faithfulness, trust, and dedication to Him.

Thank you, Mom, for all you taught me, and still do continue to teach me. I hope your day is wonderful. I love you.
- Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation