Some things are irreplaceable

Has your heart ever skipped a beat after thinking that you might have lost something precious to you?

I had this experience this past week. I was feeling under the weather and decided to lie down and rest during one of Gardner's naps. I began to think it would be nice to be able to watch some of our home movies while I vegged. I went to the place where I thought they were.....they weren't there. My heart lurched into my throat. My fingers went clammy. WHERE were those videos?

Ken had made copies of our miniDVs onto both video tapes and DVDs for extra protection that they wouldn't be lost. Now I couldn't find either. After turning the house upside down and becoming extremely frantic, I finally remembered that Ken said he'd keep the DVDs at the office just so they'd be in a different location....and I found the videos tucked precisely in the cabined underneath our music CDs.

There are many things which are irreplaceable to me. Those videos, for one. Those are priceless films of me big and pregnant (though there are not many of those shots taken!) Gardner's first day on earth....of his first bath, his first babblings, his first time with rice cereal.

Photos are also irreplaceable. To this day I have kept photos that are even blurry or indecipherable....just because they are, to me, not to be thrown away. Ever.

I have my photos in such a location that if the unthinkable happens (our house is on fire, for instance), I can run right to them and grab them on the way out. I can replace my tv, my clothes, my kitchen stuff. But those photos are priceless.

And it reminded me again of the sermon last Sunday, as well as the book I'm still reading. God sees us as irreplaceable. Sometimes we feel replaceable, invisible, unimportant. Maybe we even feel as if we are just a big, fat mistake. But God's word said that He left 99 of His sheep to come and find us and rescue us, the one lost sheep who needed His grace. We are that important to Him....He gave up everything just to gain our love. Wow.

I like to think that God looks down all day long and smiles on us, his priceless treasures, just as we like to do as we thumb through sweet photos of our children or spouses and smile. We are worth everything to Him. We are even worth His Son's life. It's time we realize that and start living with that certainty.....and confidence..... and thankfulness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation