Women.....empowered but exhausted

You think God might be trying to get some things across to me? Hmm. It's not coincidence that I just started reading John and Stasi Eldgredge's book, Captivating, the same week that Perry's mother's day sermon dealt with the same issues. Granted, I'm sure the inspiration for some of the sermon points were taken from this book, since I am sure that most of the staff women who helped plan the message are also currently reading this book. But still, I do not find it coincidental that these things are bombarding me when I need to hear them most.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again (and again)....I am an overachiever. I feel worthless and guilty if I do not have something to do all day long to occupy my time, in order to accomplish the ever-expanding list of chores I write out each day.

This book tells about many good intentioned, quiet "Baptist" ladies (I like to imagine them as Baptists, because this is the vision I've had of these types of ladies all my life) who are, on the outside, perfect wives, mothers, housekeepers, cooks, caretakers, nurses, chauffeurs, and counselors. On the inside, however, many of them are a wreck....crumpled emotions, marred self-esteems, hateful self-portraits, and guilty feelings galore.

We try so infinitely hard to create a perfect facade that others can see projected....we spent so much money on home decor, hair color products, self-tanners, gym memberships. We spend so much time on PTA boards, volunteer jobs in the community, and church activities. Yet what are we left with at the end of the day? A weary emptiness, our tired legs dragging us into our beds, our minds heavy with the realization that tomorrow only brings more of the same.

God intends our lives to be adventurous, romantic, inspiring. He never intended work we do for Him to become drudgerous. If it becomes that, we should realize that it means we are overcommitted, doing too much, and probably not being effective anymore because of our sheer exhaustion.

He longs for us to take some time out for ourselves, to realize that we are His creations, beautiful and special. He smiles when we opt to take a quiet walk with Him rather than mop the floors. He grins when we take a half day off of work to go and take the blessings He's given us, our children, to the park to spend a lazy, memorable afternoon with them. He laughs when we let loose and begin to crazily dance around the room, caught up in a praise song we hear on the radio. That's how I like to imagine Him....and I'm sure I'm not too far off base.

I am the worst when it comes to thinking that it is a sin to have fun all the time. Yes, there are things which must be done, or our households WOULD fall to pieces. But will a spic and span home really matter in eternity? No way. Neither will a flawless body or face, or even a list of boards and committes with which we were involved. All that matters is what we did for Him, who we loved, who we will take with us to heaven. I know that I want Gardner there with me, and I am going to pursue that goal with all of me. It is something that I just can't mark off my to-do list.....making all of the other frivilous tasks on that list merely suggestions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation