Old friends, new friends

We are leaving this weekend for Greensboro, NC. Mom and I are throwing a shower for my friend, Christy, and then we are attending her wedding reception later on (she was married in April in Jamaica!). I am excited about trekking back to my former stomping grounds. I was born in G'boro, and moved way when I was 2. We moved BACK years later when I was 6, and my sister was also born there (think something was in the water!?).

Christy's mom and my mom were good friends and roommates at Mars Hill College back in the day. Needless to say, Christy and I have been friends since "before birth," if you will, for this reason. She is 7 months younger than me, but we are were in the same school grade (although different schools). She spent two entire summers during the day with me while her mom worked. Memories of those days abound....the day we "nursed" a dying butterfly back to health, the time we had our one and only cat-fight (it was over who was going to wear the blue eyeshadow for dress-up and who was going to wear the lavender), the many free summer movies we attended together, buying Pound Puppies together the week they appeared on the market, attending VBS.

Christy and I having a Cabbage Patch Kid birthday party.


Christy and I taking a swimming break to have lunch.


I can't believe we're both grown....and married....time flies so quickly. That's why I'm enjoying each moment that I can with my son, cause I know that he will be marrying one day, too, and I will wonder where time went.

There is nothing more special that time-tested, old friends from our childhoods. There is also something incredible about new friendships that God blesses you with. I have a few friends from high school and college who I still cherish (Karna is one of them, now living in Atlanta, too far away), but I also count numerous others who have entered my life in the past five years and have become indescribably special to me.

How fantastic to have friends such as Suzanne, Becky, Karla, Lanna, Sara, Jennie, Skye, Judith, Julie, Sherry. I have certain things in common with each of them, and the way we all compliment each other's personalities is amazing. God has surrounded me with a blanket of fantastic comrades....and He continues to let me be reunited with good friends from my past, smiling as we recount happy memories from years ago. He is so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation