"The Top Ten Things Megret Thinks That Everyone Should Try in Their Lifetimes"

10. Eat Chinese food from a REAL Chinese cook (or any other Asian ethnicity). While living in Ft. Polk, LA, I had two Korean friends and one Chinese friend, and I have to say that the real food is much better (and healthier....er, and more authentic, too) than what you find at buffets.
9. Waterski. I only tried this twice. Once I pulled a hamstring. The other time, I got a wedgy that remained there for a week. But at least I can say that I did it. :)
8. Drink Coca-Cola with salted peanuts in it. For those of you non-Southerners, this may sound strange. Believe me, I'd never heard of it, either, till Ken told me about it. It's strangely tasty.
7. Go to Disneyworld. I have been twice, most recently on a senior trip. I am not kidding when I say that you can stay there a week and still not do everything you want to do. It's not just for kids.
6. Listen to Handel's Messiah in its entirety. I have a friend from college whose Dad used to lock himself in his room once a year and not come out till he'd heard it all. I'm not that serious about it, but I do crank it up every December to heighten my Christmas spirits and make my neighbors question our household.
5. Go ice skating, wearing the real deal. I mean, one of those leotard things with the skirt....or a unitard, if you're a guy. Pick a day when the crowd is low, and then skate, skate, skate like you're Nancy Kerrigan or Scott Hamilton. It's such a rush.
4. Hike all the way up to Table Rock. My Dad and I try to do this once a year, if we can make it fit into our schedule. It is a grueling journey, and there are blisters galore....but the quietness and the awesome view make all of that melt serenely away in an instant.
3. Write a letter to someone who you admire and love very much, but have never told them. You will be amazed at the response.
2. Go out and find a Christmas tree in the woods and cut it down with your two hands and a saw. This is the way we used to do it when I was little, and the tree's unshapely, awkward, and it sheds....but the smell is magnificent, and the pride you feel is even better.
1. Get a pen pal. In the new age of computer emailing, this is a lost art. But see if you can find out where you can get a US or international pen friend. I still treasure the letters I received from Romania, Japan, and Australia. It's way beyond cool to be in touch with someone on the other side of our planet....especially if they have wild koalas actually living in their yard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation