A tribute to dads

Yesterday was Father's Day, a day which slips right past some of us, or like Memorial Day, is just another excuse to unveil our grills and have a big cookout. It is a momentous day, though, in that its purpose is to celebrate our dads, the ones who gave us life and then inspired us to live it to the fullest.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I can testify about my own dad. In my eyes, he is the world's greatest, and I am in no way biased. :) He is a man of God that I looked to growing up for a perfect example of what to look for in a husband, and I was blessed enough to receive Ken in an answer to those prayers my parents no doubt sent up over the years.

Now I see Ken growing into someone our son will soon be able to articulate as the "world's best daddy." The tenderness and the strength coexist perfectly. Tiny Gardner surrenders his cries when Ken clutches him close. Ken inspires him already to be the best he can be, even if it is just pulling up onto his feet for the first time. I love watching the two of them together.

Gardner and his daddy....the two cutest men in my life. :)


I think there is something particularly special about a dad and his daughter, though. For one, he is her mirror for a majority of her early life. In him, she sees a reflection of herself. He shines back to her her self-worth, her beauty, and her charm. She also sees him as a prince who has wooed the heart of her mother, his wife, and that is inspiration for her own future love search. She sees him as her protector; he is the one she runs to when a storm thunders overhead, when her friends turn their backs on her, and when she feels unsafe or threatened by an outside force. He is the leader, the one who says the blessing before meals, the one who initiates bedtime prayers, the one who provides for the family financially. He is irreplaceable.

I am grateful to my dad for all of those attributes and more. He is one in a million.

Daddy sharing special moments with the pastor who played an integral role in his coming to Christ, T.W. Estes.


If you haven't told your dad how much he means to you, do it this week. We are not guaranteed the next breath. It's too important a thing to hold inside, unspoken and unveiled. The value of our fathers should be broadcasted from the highest mountaintops. Knowing their worth will make them soar; it will make their hearts bigger and prouder. And it will also inspire the young sons of the world, our very future, to become just like him.....as he seeks to become more like Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation