Close to home

Katrina's destruction hit close to home for my family.

Though New Orleans seemed thousands and thousands of miles away to many of us (and me at first), it dawned on me that nearly everyone we come across has ties to someone there, somehow. In my case, it hit closer than I'd thought.

My cousin, Jonathan, is a seminary student at the NOBTS (New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary). He had just returned to school from a wonderful summer doing missions in Canada. High hopes for his semester ahead, he (like most of the other students) didn't see this one coming. In fact, from what I can tell, the attitudes on campus were nonchalant for the most part about the impending storm. No one expected it to escalate so quickly to such a powerful one. The students weren't really implored to take every single thing that belonged to them, but merely just a few token items of their choice. After all, many thought they'd return in just two or three days.

My cousin vacated to the home of a family friend in Baton Rouge to wait it out. It soon became apparent that what was just another storm (much like the one which touched that area a few months back) was actually turning out to be much, much more. I cannot imagine how it must have felt to slowly, sickeningly realize that you might have just lost everything.

He is back home now, just five miles down the road. No word yet on the condition of his school's campus, much less his dorm room (on the first floor). All he brought with him was his computer's CPU, three pairs of pants, and some shoes.

My aunt told us the other night that every day, Jonathan signs quietly and tells about something else that he remembers which he has probably lost. It's when you're without some items that you realize their absence. Nine Bibles, thousands of dollars' worth of text books and commentaries, two sets of golf clubs....those are just some of the things which are included.

I cannot fathom the extent of his loss. Some of his professors, as well, lost everything....a majority of them had homes right on campus. These are people just like you and me. Tragedy can strike anyone, not just the unprepared.

We are praying earnestly for Jonathan's spirits to be uplifted. I can already see how people are stepping forward to help him as best they can (his home church pledged to replace all of his books). I know that God will use this experience in a tremendous way to assist Jonathan in his future ministry. Sometimes the fog of the moment clouds our vision of the future....when we can look back and actually come to the point where we thank God for such a teaching time. I know I've had "storms" of sorts to come through and destruct parts of my own life....and it is only in the storm's aftermath when I can survey what needs to be changed, find a smile within to show on the outside, and ask God for strength to continue walking forward....even when our legs are weary and it hurts so much to walk.

God, please be with all of the victims of this storm today. Even as two weeks have passed and we are all going about our business again, let us not drop this and turn away. There are still needs, there are still tears, there are still losses. Open my eyes to them, and give us all a drive to help in some way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation