Don't know what you've got....

....till it's gone. (Please pardon the bad grammar....I did it on purpose.) I'm back after a brief break from blogging. I usually do take "off" on the weekends from the computer, but this weekend I couldn't have posted even if I'd wanted to. Our cable internet provider was down for a day and a half, and so we were "cut off" from the world wide web for a while.

Ken and I called ourselves absolutely pitiful. We acted like we'd been marooned on a deserted island the way we were moping around. We kept running to the computer at random points during the day.... "I wonder what the temperature is outside?" "I need to check our checking account for something." "I need to send Mom a quick e-mail." We felt silly as we realized....oh, yeah....we can't do that. It's almost as bad as the time I got angry because my cordless phone wouldn't work during a power outage. "But phones aren't out, just the power!" Oh, my. (Those were my younger, more foolish days.)

We truly don't realize how good we have things until they are temporarily taken away from us. We take for granted the car outside in our driveway until it doesn't crank one morning. We don't give the air conditioner a second thought until it ceases to work properly. We even beg and scream for "alone time," so we duck out of a crazy household for an afternoon to ourselves. Nine times out of ten (at least for me), an hour later when we're finally alone, we dearly miss our spouse or children and begin to itch to rush home and see them!

I am trying to be more proactive about treasuring every blessing and moment as it comes. Ken reminds me frequently whenever I complain about an aspect of our house that I don't particularly care for, "At least you HAVE a house." Oh, yeah. I try to make ice cream a treat....just that, a treat to be savored and wholly enjoyed....because I know that one day it might cost me more dearly when my metabolism slows down a bit, causing me to indulge a lot less often. I want to relish every moment I spend with friends instead of thinking of the things I should be doing around the house. It's not wasting time....it's savoring it. It's making the most of EVERY opportunity.

Life is fleeting, and I don't want everything which blows in and out of my life to be made light of or taken advantage of. I want to make every smile count, every hug count, every family gathering count, every friendship count, every minute count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation