I love cloudy days

After nearly two weeks of consecutively hot, sunny days (yes, even in September), I was pleasantly surprised to wake up to cloudy skies this morning. Gardner is sleeping soundly in his crib after his doctor's visit this morning (read all about it here), and his room is dimmer and more condusive to daytime sleeping than usual, thanks to said cloud covering.

I get inspired in the fall, especially on cloudy fall days. I get in the mood to make bread....to reorganize my linen closet....to start to pull out my sweaters from the cedar closet....to even rake leaves. My heart raced when I saw on the grocery store marquee this morning that carving pumpkins are ready and on sale. I start to dig out those books which have been calling out to me all summer long.

So many people complain about clouds and rain. I used to....I admit it. My birthday would be absolutely ruined if it rained on that day. Now, I try to happily accept any weather that happens to grace my days. There are great things about sunshine....laying out on a lounge chair (well, for everyone except for albino, freckled me!), making "sun tea," seeing how it makes your floors and tables shine and sparkle as it pours into the windowpanes.

Cloudy days, though, cause us to reflect inwardly. They force us to slow down....stay inside instead of run like mad all over the place. They make it seem okay to be lazy and stay in your pajamas for an extra hour or two (or all day). Clouds make everything in nature take on a different, more subtle hue. The birds' songs seem louder and less distracted. The air feels softer. The need for sunglasses is diminished. Clouds are nature's "yield sign," if you will.

I need more yield signs. I am trying to be better about slowing down and enjoying life instead of rushing through it. Clouds are just one of the things which help me do that.

So, today on this cloudy day, I think I will go into the kitchen and bake up some bread. I think I will sit out on our front porch with Gardner and let him hear the windchimes and pet our outside cat friends. I think I might pull out an old book.

Hooray for clouds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation