Tedious

I just got home from running a bunch of tedious errands. You know....the things you can't do from home, that require an actual personal trip to each destination, though you're only at each spot for no longer than 5 minutes. Trips like these are what take the most gas out of even the most fuel-efficient vehicles (such as my own), and so I am a stickler for drawing out a game plan before I leave the house.

I have always been a planner, one who leans towards the cautious side of everything. Sometimes I wish I could just be free as the wind, running aimlessly to and fro, backtracking like crazy. It kills me to think of how much time and gas I waste when I do that, though, and that's why I plan ahead.

My friends laugh at me when we all go yard sale-ing together (is that the right way to spell that?). I will stay up late on Friday night and write down every single advertised sale out of the paper that we might go to. Then I put them in order of farthest-away to closest to home....making sure (if at all possible) that I don't backtrack. I've found that this cuts down on our time spent being unsure of where these neighborhoods are (thanks, Google Maps), as well as our frustration. Bam! Bam! Bam! We're done, and we return home before 11am with our cars full of treasures found.

I'm curious how many other people out there give so much thought to their errand running. How many others are so methodical in their outing and abouting. I am starting to appreciate this part of myself that I have, in the past, despised. I used to think I would never quite jive with my friends who are so carefree and spontaneous.

What I have found instead, though, is that the older we all get, the more we laugh at ourselves, eachother. We appreciate the silly quirks of our friends and family, and even use them as an excuse to dish out another verbal, "Oh, I love you."

I agree with Ken that one of the marks of a sane mind (and happy spirit) is to be able to laugh at oneself.

I do it everyday. If I didn't laugh, I just might cry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation