Who are we working for?

Even though I am currently a stay-at-home mom (which is a full-time profession, actually, though I never realized that before), I still have vivid memories of my work experiences which pop into my mind on occasion. I think it's mainly because God is bringing those memories back up to the surface to cause me to reflect on them all over again. In my life, God has taught me so, so much through the jobs which I've held. I think it's one of the main ways He got through to me.

I can remember my first job.....a hostess and cashier for a locally owned meat-and-three restaurant in my hometown. I was ecstatic. It was my first "real" job, and I loved it. I worked so diligently, checking behind my calculations at the cash register with each transaction. I always greeted the diners with a happy smile and leisurely attitude to convey warmth and hospitality. When Christmas came, I decorated the tree in the lobby so carefully, with much attention to every detail....it must be perfect. I loved my boss and we were always joking and kidding around with each other. He felt like an older brother sometimes.

My next job, however, was different. I worked in the ladies' department of a large department store in our mall, and my boss was, well....less than agreeable. I can get along with pretty much anybody....but this lady made it clear that she didn't like me because I was "a goody two-shoes." I eventually put up an attitude that said, "Well, then maybe I won't work my hardest, then." I justified my decision in that I wasn't getting enough praise, enough recognition, enough validation that I was a good employee. It was all about ME.

Needless to say, my 10 month stay at that job was terrible. I lost sight of why I was there....to serve the customers (even the griping ones), and I made it into a game of trying to get ahead so I could be promoted and get out of that department. (Not that it would've helped....the manager of the entire store was even more military-like.....even the guys who worked there quaked in their boots when she came around.)

I am reminded of Paul. He worked diligently to promote the gospel, no matter what type of audience he had listening to him. He worked in spite of criticism, in spite of apathy, in spite of threats. He knew that he was on this earth for a certain reason, and that goal filled his entire outlook....to spread the gospel. His hunger, his fear, his personality flaws...none of that got in the way.

I wonder....and I wonder because I've done it more than anybody....do we do things to see what we can get out of them, or just because we need to do them for God's glory? This mainly pertains to working....do we work "as for the Lord?" Or do we do our job just to fill the gap in a no-name company so that we can bring home the paycheck? Do we work at a store for no reason other than to receive the 40% employee discount? Do we volunteer at a local homeless shelter just so we can earn a pat on the back or self-fulfillment?

This also goes for other areas of life. Do we try to win friendships just to get into a clique or social status? Do we get to know somebody just so we can suck them dry for wisdom, advice, or compliments? Do we really seek to put our whole selves INTO the relationship, to see how we can better the OTHER person first? Do we do that in our marriages? Do we love the other person, not for who we hope they'll be one day, but for who God made them TODAY?

Paul didn't want any of that. He wasn't in it for him. He was in it for Him....and the growth of the Kingdom. He took time to develop deep relationships and friendships. He ministered through speech and especially through his letters back home. He had nothing to lose....but himself.

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me---the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." (Acts 20:24)

God, please help me to remember Who I am working for. Let me speak a little less, listen a little more, and invest in life situations and relationships for the right reasons. Help me to remember what my true job is here on earth. Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation