Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I have always been a big ER fan. I know...I know. Hyperstimulated drama/soap opera backsplash with trauma scenes on steroids. I have never observed an ER for longer than 3-4 hours, and obviously not one in the heart of Chicago. Obviously, I know that the situations on the screen are extremely exaggerated at times, but still, a well-written show. Excellent direction, great cast of characters.

I have to admit, I, with so many others, mourned the loss of Dr. Greene and abruptly took the show out of my repertoire of weekly viewed programming. I went on an emotional strike, of sorts. When Sally Field (one of my all-time favorite actresses) made a few of the episodes a couple of seasons back, I was intermittently catching a few of them. Yet this season, I don't know what it was....I was hooked once again, completely swallowed in.

It's like I hear so many times....it's like a car accident that you can't pull your eyes away from. As gory and as cheesy at it can get at times, I just can't stop watching. It's the small fear that I "might miss something" that keeps me scrambling back in front of the TV every Thursday night.

Last night was their sweeps week episode. OH, my. Only the second "real time" aired episode in their history....and probably their finest one thus far. The artistry....the way they blended Ray Liotta's (the guest star) realities on the stretcher with his alcohol-induced hallucinations....I was dumbfounded, wide-eyed, and open-mouthed.

One episode a season makes me think....and makes me cry. This was it.

Ray Liotta, too....what an actor. He's come a long way since his small role as Shoeless Joe Jackson in "Field of Dreams." I watched that movie and had a little-girl-crush on him like nobody's business. Last night, his raw, misshaven persona made it clear that he's not that innocent anymore.

I'm still speechless. Anyone else see it? I'm curious to hear your thoughts as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation