The fair

Well, we did it.

We broke down and went to the county fair last night. I think it has honestly been since high school since Ken and I set foot on that property for that reason. It was, well, just as we conjured it in our minds beforehand....surreal. I will stop talking now, before I talk too much and get into trouble. (Let's just say that I don't have a terribly high opinion of the fair in general.)

Gardner loved it.....well, at least we think he did. It was like he had toothpicks in his eyelids....he practically never blinked. There was so much to look at and hear all around us. I'm quite sure he was wondering what he did to deserve the onslaught of such fierce external stimulation right before his supposed bedtime. I wonder if he dreamed about it last night.

By far, the creepiest moment of the night was when we stopped beside a crowd of onlookers. I peered into the circle, asking Ken, "What are they looking at?" We got closer, the crowd parted, and there was the freakiest man/ball of rags/dog-looking creature on all fours I've ever seen. It was a human apparently on all fours, decked out in an oversized costume that looked like it was made from polyester strands from those 1970s homemade potholders. "Bruiser" was his....I mean "its"....name. It clambored over and "sniffed" our son in his stroller, who appeared to be suddenly paralyzed with fear. I held off from my instinct to drop and kick as it came closer. Gardner didn't cry, though, although I nearly did.

Ahhh....the fair.

(View Ken's photoset of the whole event here.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation