Just give me the classics

Ken and I have both been sick this weekend....we stayed inside and even "shipped" Gardner off to stay with grandparents so he wouldn't contract anything. Needless to say, we had a lot of time on our hands. We both chose different rooms; I was more comfortable in the bed, he on the couch...so we could each choose our television entertainment without a squabble.

What I really wanted to do was read, but when you have one of those behind-the-eyes headaches, it's just not feasible. Instead, I let the books which I wanted to read just stare at me from the shelves above.

I cannot speak for Ken, but I can tell you what I watched on television to pass those lonely hours. I found one reel after another of classic Christmas movies....and I was ecstatic. I watched some really old ones, the classic black and whites....my all-time favorites. I finally got to see "Christmas in Connecticut." And last but not least, I watched "A Christmas Story." This is one movie I must admit I've seen all of, but not at one time, not in one piece. Now I have.

Every Christmas I turn into a Christmas movie sentimentalist. I pull out the few I have on video or DVD and watch them. Then I turn to the television's guide to see what else will be airing. I watch documentaries about the movies themselves. I just can't stay away.

One of my favorite memories growing up was sitting down with my family and watching the first part of "Jesus of Nazareth." Never before had the story of Christ's birth come more alive to my little eyes than it did when I viewed this film. The Scriptures seemed to leap off of the screen. To this day, when I picture the face of Mary or Joseph (or Jesus), these are the faces that stick in my mind.

What I have noticed lately is a swerve over to the supernatural on the screen, even regarding Christmas. New age-tainted "holiday" films are rampant. Movies just about the materialism of the season are stamped with a comedy stamp and fly off of the rental shelves. It's rare to see a film portraying the True Meaning, of course, anymore. It's also rare even to see a film reflecting simply the spirit of giving and unselfishness....a strategy for the improvement of humanity.

Though this weekend was not a fun one overall, it was a breath of fresh air as far as bringing my mind back to the simpler meaning of Christmas. I believe it can be that way again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation