Ten on Tuesday

I'm not one for these weekly games on my blog, but I just couldn't resist this time around.

I'm giving you my top 10 favorite things right now. Think of me as Oprah, except for the fact that I'm considered just a middle class citizen AND the fact that I can't afford to buy all of you readers every one of these things to take home with you after the show.

Enjoy nonetheless. Maybe it will inspire you to try something new.

MEG'S TOP TEN FAVORITE THINGS ON THE PLANET (RIGHT NOW)

10. A book entitled "A Writer's Book of Days." Ken gave it to me for Christmas this year. It's a book chock-full of writing prompts. Not cheesy, off-the-wall, romance-novel-resembling topics, but deep, makes-you-really-think topics. There's a topic per day, plus inspiration for the whole week. It's my new nightcap.

9. Hallmark stores.....all of them. Everything inside of them. I can get lost, I mean physically and mentally lost, amid those rows of greeting cards and sentimental schmooze. I try to avoid it while at the mall if I have a strict schedule to keep.

8. Abuelita. It's a new little drink I heard about that's like hot chocolate on steroids (or just a more elegant form of hot chocolate). It means "Little" or "Dear Grandmother" in Spanish, and it's simply a brick of chocolate with Mexican cinnamon. Blended with hot milk, it froths up coffeeshop-style and really delivers. Once hard to find, my neighborhood Publix now keeps it in stock.

7. And while on the subject of chocolate....a guy named Joseph Schmidt and the wonderful confectionary company he started up in San Francisco. I have a box sitting here that was a mail-order surprise from a dear friend of mine, and I'm just waiting to open it until I decide which one to try first. I fell in love with this brand of truffles in 1996, and we've been going steady ever since.

6. My iPod Nano. I know I talk about this gadget about so much that it is starting to become my 3rd child, but still. I was on an "Quit bugging me, I am just one of those people who'd NEVER use an iPod" tirade last year, and when I finally got one, I don't know how it isn't growing out of my palm by now. It goes with me everywhere, and Ken outfitted it with a snazzy magenta case that makes it more toteable without scratching it as much.

5. My local library. I am the type of person who can start a book and decide to stop reading it ten minutes in. I just refuse to be bored, humiliated, or worst of all, appalled by the words on the pages. If I bought every book which sounded good from the inside flap, we'd be in major debt with Books-a-Million right now. The great thing about the library is that I can check out five or so novels, and my chances are pretty good for holding on to one of them and actually enjoying it.

4. My new French bagutte pan from Kitchen Emporium. Thanks to my wonderful brother-and-sister-in-law, I had some money to spend there after the holidays, and I bought this, something I've been wanting for a long while. Now my french baguettes (when I feel up to making them, that is) can be round and crisp instead of flat and squishy like a slug.

3. My stay-at-home socks. I bought these for a gift and then hid them SO well that I lost them. When I cleaned out my closet recently, they unsurfaced, and....surprise, Meg! You have yourself a brand new pair of pale pink pampering socks. When you slide them onto your feet, you'd swear that ten million tiny dandilions (or chinchillas, whichever analogy you prefer) are caressing your toes. They're that great.

2. My Crabtree & Evelyn lamp ring oil. When my pregnancy nose gets the best of me, it wants to smell fresh smells.....not musky, not perfumy, just fresh and light. Two tiny drops in my lamp ring and my entire house smells like a meadow. Much better than rooms sprays, and no kids wheezing or cats scattering to escape the mist.

1. (CUE the sentimental music.) My husband, son, and baby-to-be-born. These guys will always be favorites. I just don't know how I'd live without them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation