more valentine memories

I believe my Val. Day post last year dealt with things I remembered about Valentines past. I wanted to reminisce a little more this year, mainly for my own sake, to get these memoirs down on "paper" and help them stick around for a long time.

I remember the candies I would find in my stash of school Valentines later that afternoon every year. Oh, you could always expect the usual "conversation hearts," those chalky little nuggets of which 40% of the colors taste exactly like Pepto-Bismol. (Ugh.) Never was a big fan of those, although they were fun to read, at least. I remember the foil-covered hearts made of sub-par chocolate with crisp rice studded within. And my all-time favorite, I must say, were those cherry-flavored heart suckers. I would love to lick off the white "paint" on the front first, coating my tongue with its whiteness, even though I had no idea what that substance was or what it truly tasted like (do kids really care about that stuff?)

I remember how Mom and Dad always gave Emily and I something on that special day, showing us that it was about all kinds of love....we didn't have to wait until we had a boyfriend (or husband) to enjoy the little gifts and surprises that everyone else enjoyed. I loved that, too, they showed their love for us all year round; we didn't need a holiday to prove to us our parents cared about and were thankful for us.

I remembered this morning, too, the wonderfully practical gift that Ken gave me in February 2002....a locking security fire box. Now, don't pity me....I had actually asked him for this particular gift, seeing as I was going through a highly organizational stage in life and simply couldn't sleep until I knew that our house closing documents and birth certificates and social security cards were safely tucked away under lock and key.

What I discovered as I opened that gift was that Ken always finds some way to surprise me nonetheless....inside the box was an envelope holding a printed reservation for a Gary Smalley marriage conference that I'd been wanting to attend with him. Awwww....

What are some of your favorite Valentine's Day memories, either from childhood or today? I'd love to hear about them.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation