Movie mania

Since Ken has been working mucho overtime this week to prepare for the new building's first services tomorrow, I've been catching up on movies and books. I must say that the guilt-free abandonment I feel when I sit down to watch a movie of my choice entirely (even if the house isn't perfectly tidy) is a little bit fun. Add a bowl of ice cream or olive-oiled popcorn to the mix, and you have one great evening.

I began watching De-Lovely, which I was all excited about (it was the life story of Cole Porter). Fifteen minutes into the movie, however, I realized that the underlying subject matter wasn't something I wanted to fill my mind with, so I stopped it (angrily). On to something else.

I ended up watching Spanglish, a weird (very weird) photograph of "real life." (Although, it was more or less a hyper-exaggerated view of real life....or else, not the life I've ever lived or known anyone else personally who lived it). Funny, sarcastic, painfully accurate, and even a little bitter. I have never had such mixed feelings after a movie ended about whether I loved it or HATED it. And I'm being honest about that.

Last night, I watched a movie long-standing on my "films to watch" list: Man on Fire. Denzel Washington has always been a favorite of mine, and the cinematography is outstanding. It's very long, somewhat violent, a tad bit disturbing, and utterly heartbreaking....but I think everyone should see this movie.

I have one more I haven't watched yet: Suddenly Last Summer. An older one, it stars Katharine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor. Taylor witnesses the murder of her brother and has psychiatric flashbacks which plague her. Her mother (Hepburn) insists that her daughter is delusional, but eventually has to face the reality that her son was indeed killed in such a manner as she describes so horrifically. Both of them won awards for this flick, and it is one of the movies KH made that I haven't actually seen yet (my life goal is to see ALL of her films). So, maybe I will find time for that one sometime this weekend, as well.

Well, I've got to run finishing cleaning up the house. We have more interested people coming through this morning to tour! I am so thrilled. Maybe THIS will be it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation