Happy Cows?

Seen the ads on TV promoting California dairy...about the happy cows? Seems as if members of PETA have, too (see link). After reading anything like this, it's enough to make us animal lovers scurry off to buy soy milk and prance around in front of grocery stores with picket signs. I find it so funny that people will always find something to bring out and "expose."

Now, in my case, I happened upon a very, very emotion-inducing book entitled "Fast Food Nation." I read it two summers ago, kleenex box in hand, slamming it down repeatedly in anger only to find my curiosity begging me to pick it up again and keep reading. This book really will make you think twice about ordering anything from a fast food joint, drinking milk, or even breathing. But what exactly prompts someone to write a book like this? Will it revolutionize the world's way of eating? Not until the people who choose to turn the other way and ignore reality cease to exist.

In our pursuits of purer food....(Now that we have a little one, we are (well, I am) becoming increasingly paranoid about what I put in my mouth and thus, his mouth)....Ken and I have recently jumped on the bandwagon of drinking grass-fed cow milk from a local dairy, nonhomogenized and all. Oh, man, is it good. And not that much pricier. But am I really "doing my body good," or just doing my part to aid the local businessman? (Which I am all for, anyway.) I'd like to think that I can trust the "experts" and believe that this milk is truly hormone-free and coming from....happier cows.

I think the only One who really knows what is in what we all eat, and what it will do to us eventually, is God Himself. He created everything....our bodies, the grass, the grain, the cows, the farmers, even the brains men need to know how to run a dairy farm. I wonder sometimes if He's up in heaven just laughing at all of the "news" that comes out periodically about what will cause cancer, what will cause hormonal imbalance, what will make us die earlier. Certainly He knew from the time He created the first cow that somewhere down the line, PETA would criticize the way they were raised and milked.

God created a very imperfect world, and so many of us think that we are somehow perfect once we finally come up with our big ideas and newest revelations. We are so far from perfect. In fact, it is evident EVERY DAY to me that the "wisdom" of man is mere foolishness to God. I like to think of all things in life that way. It really helps keep me from freaking out so much over CNN's headlines or what the New England Journal of Medicine publishes. God knows the REAL truth, and if we will take time to ask Him, we will have a much firmer foundation on which to live our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation