The Wee Laddie

So, in order to broaden our cultural horizons (and to convince myself that there are still people out in the world who appreciate good music and talented musicianship), my parents, Ken, Gardner and I all trekked to a Robert Burns' Birthday Celebration last night. There was a very talented duo (entitled "Castlebay") who performed his verse in music and spoken form, all with added humor and sarcasm, both of which I know Burns carried a lot of himself, as you can tell by his ramblings.

So....my dad, nonetheless, came fully dressed in Highland garb. Mom needn't fear that we would be the only family with a historically accurate companion....the walk into the room revealed two more kilted men. And the most handsome amongst them all was my own infant son.... That's right, Gardner came donned in the kilt that Dad recently handcrafted for him...that paired with his little woolen, ivory sweater and ivory socks made him look completely authentic. The little bit of red tones that gleam in his fuzzy hair helped, as well.

And may I add that my little boy just seems to exude confidence when placed in a room of intellectuals and musicians! He lasted through 70% of the program without making a peep (Ken selflessly took him out to walk the halls once his attention span was spent). He gazed at the lights above him and at those sitting by who love him while he was lullibied by the sweet tunes coming from the tinwhistle, flute, guitar, Irish fiddle, and Celtic harp on stage.

All in all, it was a spectacular and intriguing evening for all 5 of us. It reminded me so much of times when my parents would take my sister, Emily, and I to cultural events they'd found out about, us usually lethargic and reluctant, but always leaving with a hightened sense of pleasure and appreciation for the finer things in life. And now we are starting this with Gardner, so that he may appreciate those things, also. :0)



Comments

LannaGrace said…
a mohawk and a kilt...the kid is destined for greatness.
ken said…
He's a special fella indeed. Glad he's in the family. And those burping sounds... incredible.

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation