Well, Ken's fish who unexplainedly passed away on Christmas Eve was replaced last Friday with two very boisterous tropical fish. We named them affectionately... James Pond and Jaws, in honor of the movies we both so adore. We were certain that James Pond ("Jim") was a male, because the pet expert at the store told us so. But we were not quite clear as to the gender of the black molly, Jaws.

Well, Saturday night brought us the realization that Jaws was a "she." I peered into the bubbly tank with Gardner in my arms, his eyes wide with wonder at the lit panorama before him. I frantically darted my head to the side, then to the other side. "Fish babies!" I squealed. Ken came running. Indeed, the black molly had, in a matter of an hour or two, managed to "give birth" to five little 1/4" mini fish! I was so confused...I thought all fish laid eggs. Huh.

By the time we went to bed that night, there were 8, and Sunday morning, there were 9. There are still just 9, which is a relief; I was informed by my mom's research that they are known to have as many as 100 at a time.

I began to question what do we do with them. Do they need to be separated from Jim? Do they have to stay with their mother....i.e., do fish NURSE? This is silly, I know, but really never something I have ever had to think about.

For now, they're all still cohabitating, and there are still 9...none have become lunch for Jim so far.

Anybody want any fish?

Comments

ken said…
the Lord gives, and he takes away. In this case, he took Ollie, and has returned to us tenfold!
Anonymous said…
meg,
this is the funniest/wildest thing i've heard all day...thanks for making my monday a little more interesting.

judith
Anonymous said…
I love reading the thoughts that go through your head! This was a funny story! And yes, I would like some fish! How many can you spare??? Love, Mom :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation