Rice wrappers....come on, where are you!?

So, I have just, in hopeless desperation, ended a day-long pursuit for Vietnamese rice wrappers. No one in town has them. I made my monthly trip to EarthFare this morning, feeling certain that THEY would have them if anyone would. Wrong. They did, however, have the organic bok choy that was the other crucial ingredient I needed for my handmade spring rolls. The only place I found these rice wrapper things were where they were already packaged and wrapped tightly around sushi rolls....and they wouldn't sell the wrappers to me individually out of the sushi counter!

After calling every other produce section of every grocery store in town, I have given up. I guess I should have stopped by the Asian food market while I was out of town today. I feel sure they would have had them. Next time I will ensure that I can find the one crucial ingredient for a recipe before I buy all of the other "fillers." Anyone know what other uses I can find for a huge can of mung bean sprouts?? Heh heh...

And so, in my driving around this morning with my son and my mom (another EarthFare aficianado), it was pointed out to me by Mom that there is a new structure being erected on a main thoroughfare we drive by....a Whole Foods Market. I nearly ran off of the road in excitement. This place is like EarthFare, but bigger, better, shinier, more organized, and with better bakery fare. I love it so much that, while in Atlanta, Georgia last year, I went by and found all four of their branches all over the metro area. Crazy, I know. But you gotta know how much I love this place.

While in Washington, D.C. recently for a friend's wedding, Ken and I were (well I was, anyway) thrilled to realize that we were conveniently situated within 2 miles of a Whole Foods. Upon his asking for those two days where I wanted to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner (take your pick), I replied with a simple, terse, "Whole Foods." I believe Ken gave in to at least two of those pleas. There is only so much health food a normal American guy can take, I guess.

My heart lurches with want whenever I see Alton Brown off of the Food Network perusing the aisles of his neighborhood Whole Foods. I told our friend in D.C. how lucky they were to have two in their district; they looked at me blankly as if I was mad. Perhaps I am a little bit, but I think every one of us health nuts are just a tad bit eccentric. We are the ones who follow things we love in herds, with a death-grip passion....be it Volkswagons, Apple, or Whole Foods.

Oh, goodness, I just heard my purse strings popping in expectation of the grocery bills to come. I guess Dave Ramsey wouldn't approve of the Whole Foods lifestyle. :0)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation