There's a beeeee in the car

A wasp flew into my Jeep while I was trying to pull out of a shopping center just an hour ago. I lurched out and flung open the door immediately; don't even remember unfastening my seatbelt. I waved the creature on its way with a scrap piece of paper from my passenger seat, hoping it would not retaliate and come back at me boomerang-style, stinger out and ready to pierce. Thankfully, it surrendered and flew on out of my open door, and I tore out of there before he knew what happened. I looked back at Gardner, who was oblivious to the threat I had just then thwarted.

I had to laugh out loud at this point, because that plus the hot weather we are having today raced my memory right back to a movie I remember from childhood summers. It is a stupid-silly comedy written by the late author Jean Shepherd, whose book of another title inspired the movie "The Christmas Story." The movie I'm referring to is "Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss." If you will watch it, you will easily recognize the narrator's voice as the same voice right out of "The Christmas Story."

I will not go into a plot play-by-play, but basically it is a story about a disfunctional family in the 1950s who attempts to travel to their annual summer vacation spot, "Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss." 99.9% of the movie is merely pitfalls and roadblocks they experience just trying to reach that destination. One such episode is that of a bee getting trapped in the car, whereas the oh-so-kitchy (and very emotionally fragile) mother begins to get out and scream in an glass-shattering high-pitched voice, doing a Native American dance around the family's car.

If you have nothing to do one warm afternoon, see if you can unearth this beloved classic and watch it just for laughs. Don't read into it too deeply....there are no trivial subplots or tricky hidden meanings woven into it at all (believe me). There are, however, some cleverly interspersed wisecracks and gut-splitting mini-scenes that you can catch if you watch it more than once.

Maybe you can join my OHHOB fan club once you've been initiated into the mass of people who've viewed and loved this cheesy flick. We'll see.

(and please, whatever you do, don't consult my husband's opinion on this movie. He is a "The Christmas Story" die-hard fan, but he has a rather satirical viewpoint about this particular film. Or, maybe it's just that he says things about this movie just to annoy me and see me fume. He thinks that's cute, for some reason. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation