Five years ago today....

Five years ago today, May 18th, 2000, I was two days away from walking down the aisle. I was nervous (whoa, an understatement), but not about getting married to Ken. He is my soulmate, and I never second-guessed my decision to say "I do." I was nervous about the ceremony itself, that everything would go smoothly, and I was also nervous about the fact that we'd be flying out to Boston the next day (and anyone who knows me knows that I HATE AIR TRAVEL).

May 18th was a Thursday, but we were having our rehearsal dinner that night instead of the usual Friday tradition....my cousin (and several other people) were graduating that same weekend, and I gracefully surrendered Friday night to his events and moved our rehearsal two days back. It provided an extra day of last-minute preparations, which turned out to be helpful.

I remember this day very well because, um, I wrecked a car that day. I was backing out of my parent's driveway in my Civic, trying to make it to the rehearsal on time. I did not see the other car sitting at the end of the driveway....my grandparents' Buick. Ouch. One bumper clipped another....mine was plastic, so it just popped off. Theirs was metal, and it left a dent. Oops. I arrived at my rehearsal in tears and with an elevated blood pressure. Oh, please, oh please....don't let the rest of this weekend go that way, too. Thankfully, it didn't.

That night we went through the motions of what would take place two days later. I got to see my friend Christy, who drove down from Greensboro, after not seeing her for over a year. All of my dearest friends gathered in one place, all smiling, all happy to see Ken and I about to take the plunge. It was awesome.

I gave my bridesmaids earrings and necklaces.....sheepishly realizing as I handed the box to two of them that they didn't have their ears pierced! (What kind of friend AM I???) Ken divvyed out his creative gifts of locally crafted pottery mugs and Jittery Joe's coffee beans. We ate, we sang, we laughed, we cried. It was the most perfect evening.

Stay tuned, folks.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation