Happy Memorial Day

I decided to investigate just what Memorial Day really signifies, simply because many people (myself included) have probably just observed it as merely a day off of work or an extra excuse to grill out. It is far, far more than that.

Memorial Day is dedicated to those who gave their lives for this country, and the people who dwell within it. It is meant for those brave souls, many of them very young, who left everything they had to fight for everything they wanted to have....freedom and peace. It hasn't been around that long, sadly....its idea was birthed by President Johnson in the 60s. Yet a smaller form of this holiday most likely took place in individual towns and communities who were shaken hard by the grips of war themselves.

On this day, I bring to mind those family members of my own who have died in combat. My Dad's uncle Charles was killed in the European front during WWII. He was buried in France. My mom's uncle Herbert's plane disappeared among the Aluetian Islands while in route on a mission from his base in Alaska in 1942. Though I never had the privilege of meeting Herbert, I clearly see his resemblance in my uncle and my cousin.

I also think of my family members who are still alive and well, and recall the sacrifices that they made, some without any glory or recognition. My grandpa, Carey, is a WW II veteran; he was also in Alaska. My great-uncle Wilbur is also one of them, as well as my great-uncle Wayne. My cousin Josh, at only 23 years old, is currently serving in the U.S. Army Reserves. And of course, my own dad. He served during Vietnam in the Navy (served on board the U.S.S. Shangri-la), and during the Persian Gulf war (serving in Ft. Clayton, Panama) in the US Army.

I know what it is like to lose a loved one to war....not by death, but by separation. My dad was gone from our home for about 18 months during his Panama tour. My heart aches for those who are fatherless and spouseless right now; I have been there, and I know it is not easy.

Yet we can all take hope in the fact that those loved ones are doing a greater good. They are defending a country that is worth defending, and sometimes that means sacrifice. I want to honor those who have fallen in wars of our past, and commend those who have made it through to tell about it. I also commend those who are fighting for us as I type here.

Be sure to check out the special TLC production of Operation Homecoming tonight at 9pm. I know those emotions all too well, the thrill of seeing that face that you missed so much as that daddy (or husband) turns the corner in the airport or on the landing strip.

Thank you, Daddy. I love you. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation