Dumbing it down?




The two photos you see are of the same exact children's book (a Little Golden Book, to be specific). The one on the top is about 25 years old; it was mine since babyhood. The one on the bottom was purchased yesterday (Gardner bought it for his cousin). The same author, but different illustrators.

Now, what exactly would cause a publisher to feel the need to find another illustrator while keeping the same author? If it is because the pictures look outdated, one could argue that the fashion in which the words are put together are also outdated and needed to be revamped.

Look carefully at these two book covers. The pictures inside are the same stylistically as what you see here. In my opinion, this is an example of the "dumbing down" of yet another item intended for our children. The over-simplification of stories (and illustrations) is rampant in American education these days. Look again at the covers. The one of the left is full of incredible detail....beautiful ...intricate....a playground for the eyes. The one on the right? Well, sadly, it resembles the cut-and-dry, no-frills, easy-to-see, easy-to-decipher manner in which most childrens' books, toys, and other entertainment is handed out today.

I think we don't give kids enough credit. Yes, there are those children who have learning disabilities. Yes, there are also kids who have physical limitations beyond their control. Yet I think it is incredibly deplorable for us to hold back those children who have the capability to excell and succeed just so they won't make the kids who aren't as fortunate feel singled out or left out.

Maybe I am biased because I have a father who is a textbook illustrator as his profession. He went to graduate school for art and art history, so I value his opinion absolutely. His art style resembles more the older version of this book....chock full of discreet and tiny details that thrill a seeking, hungry eye. He taught me to look at the small stuff....to stare at a picture and notice all of the little unnoticeable things that are going on inside it. I can stare at an intricate painting for hours.....I cannot, however, stare at the simple shape-filled, bland kiddie art for more than a minute. There is simply no challenge for the imagination within images which seem to yell, "Here I am, this is what I am, this is all I am." It almost seems to shut out all human creativity and ingenuity.

Another area is the area of children's toys. I was recently at a large toy store chain near my home, and all I wanted was to find two things: Alphabet refrigerator magnets and a set of plain, colored wooden blocks. I walked around that store for over an hour trying to find them. I found the blocks amidst a host of other interlocking block sets with instruction manuals showing exactly where to put each piece (what fun is that? I thought). I finally found the magnets, too, but not until I looked on a dusty endcap at the end of a forgotten aisle....these things were shoved aside to make way for all of the better-selling toys.

I remember being entertained with just a big bucket of blocks and a tub of Lincoln Logs. Even 20 years ago, the majority of the toys produced did not have all of the lights, sounds, bells and whistles that they have today. Instead of giving our children a set of blocks with which there are immeasurable possibilities of uses, we hand them a one-piece electronic plastic toy that has buttons all over it. Yes, the child may learn cause and effect (as their boxes boast), but does the child learn to create novel and innovative projects and structures?

It is also sickeningly realized whenever I see those thank-you cards for kids hanging on department store shelves. "Dear ______. Thank you for the ______ that you gave me for _____. I ______ it a lot. Love, _____." This teaches the child to merely plug in words, devoid of emotion or honest gratitude. It dumbs down even the simple task of writing a note to a friend or relative, making it less of a kind thing they learn to do for someone and more into just another task they can mark off of a to-do list.

I am curious as to what your thoughts are on this subject. Perhaps I am more deeply troubled than I need be (but I am a mother, and I do have educational dilemmas in my near future with which I have to grapple). Please understand that I am not "cracking on" new art forms or period styles....for that would mean that I am dismantling individual creative expression, which I do not want to do. I am merely pointing out that this "dumbing down" and oversimplification is popping up all over the place. I believe that it is threatening to the intellectual future of the little people in our world, and I want to see who else has noticed and is concerned about it.

(You can read these other articles (and commentaries) about this subject, if you're still interested:
"Dumbing Down": Why Children's Books are Being Simplified and What This Means for All of Us
Dumbing Down American Readers
A Dumbed-Down Textbook is "A Textbook for All Readers"
Development Experts Say Children Suffer Due to Lack of Unstructured Fun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation