A lesser-known fact

One of the quirks (well, obsessions, really) that I have is that I simply adore weather. I like the experience of weather (especially the excitement of a thunderstorm or very windy day in March), but I particularly like the study of weather.

I know where I get this from.....my mom. I honestly do not know what she did before the Weather Channel came into being. (I do know; she would plan her entire day around having the news on at 6:20 pm in time for our local forecast.) Mom watches the weather as religiously as some other women watch soaps. I can always call her if I haven't looked at the forecast in a while and need to plan what to wear that day. She will tell me the highs, lows, and probability of rain showers.

I can remember, while still living at home, many a day before forecasted snow where she and I would leave the WC on all day long, glued to it like it was the olympics or something. One subtle change in the forecast couldn't be missed.

I am intrigued by the science behind it, as well as the small amount of guesswork involved (after all, meterologists are human, too). I love everything about their jobs.....the calculations, the predictions, the graphic arts, even the sharp three-piece suits.

And I am intrigued how the weather itself can change in an instant. You see sunshine outside, but a red blip heading towards your town. Suddenly, the house is as dark as dusk and the trees are bending sideways. You can actually go out and "smell" the rain (much like you can "hear" the silence of impending snow). You know enough to be able to go out and find that rainbow if the conditions are just right after the storm is over. The wonder of it all never ceases to amaze me.

Maybe I'm the only other 27-year-old female weather hound. All I know is that I'm not ashamed about my "need to know." Perhaps it is a sense of power, although I love the reminders from time to time that we ARE human and CAN be surprised. In my opinion, weather is one of the things that is forgotten when we recount all that God has made....yet I believe it is one of my favorite aspects of His handiwork.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation