Poor tree

We lost one of our two huge Bradford Pear trees out front this weekend with all of the wind and storms we've had. As we surveyed the damage of the limb that fell (well, really, half of the entire tree split off), we realized there was nothing we could do but cut the entire thing down. Yesterday, that's just what Ken and his dad did. Sappy female and animal activist that I am, all I could think about was the fact that I hoped there were no baby birds hidden away in nests inside its branches. Forget about the fact that we lost a tree and the majority of our shade against the morning sun.... what about the birds?

I am not going to complain about the wind and rain, however. I am a lover of summer showers....there's something about a late afternoon thunderstorm that, if I'm at home, makes my whole surroundings seem cozier and warmer. I love explaining to little Gardner how God makes the rain fall, and how the clouds gather up and produce streaks of lightning which then causes the thunder to clap. He isn't afraid of thunder....thank goodnes....but rather, he marvels at the sound when it comes overhead....and he looks toward the windows, wide-eyed and inquisitive. So many teaching moments....

We are preparing for our vacation in a mere four days....we can't believe it's nearly here. This will truly be our first true vacation in three years. I am getting all giddy, summoning ice chests so I can fill them with treats such as CapriSuns and granola bars for the road. I am going to be one of those moms whose actions kids dread around vacation time, I guess.....harnessing and stringing along every activity book, magazine, game, and portable edible item, weighing the car down even further.

Well, now that I've sufficiently rambled enough for one afternoon, I will leave you.... The house is quiet...time to pull out that Real Simple magazine and pick up where I left off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ouch

Part of the "Lost" madness.....

Gaining inspiriation